Google+

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Three Ways to Use Earth Tones

Today is the last day for a look at some of the design team's layouts using the June Kit.  I thought we would take a look at a few different ways members of the design team took advantage of the browns and earth tones in this kit.

Grand Canyon by Leslie Kammerdiener

This is a photo of the stunning Grand Canyon 
just as the sun was starting to set. Such beautiful colors!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Since the photo I chose is primarily neutral colors, I decided to stick to those colors 
for the layout. This is my niece with such a sweet smile for her baby brother. 
She really loves to mother him.


 From the Flower add-on:
Petaloo Forget Me Nots
Manor House Sugar & Spice
Prima Buckskin Laredo flowers

From the Embellishment add-on:
American Crafts Chestnut Thickers
Bo Bunny Country Garden Noteworthy Die Cut
Meg's Garden Lace Doily
FabScraps Picket Fence

I wanted the chipboard picket fence (in the embellishment add-on) to have a distressed look. To achieve this, I painted it with gesso and while the gesso was still wet, I added some embossing powder. Then I heat set it. The gesso doesn't provide clear coverage like an embossing ink would, and gives it a mottled look. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeper Of by Fi Kenward

This is a picture of my Dad when he was a kid with his dog.  I don't have many of my dad when he was this age. Since the paper had some quotes in reference to little secrets I thought this photo worked in perfectly.  I know when I was a kid my dog knew all my secrets and I bet I was half as mischievous as my dad.


From the Embellishment Add On:
Prima: Wood Tickets: Sun Kiss
Maya Road: Canvas Buttons
Dusty Attic: Grass Cluster
Prima: Blossom Bud Ink Edger
Maya Road: Skinny Mini Spools

We hope you enjoyed taking a look at three very different ways of using earth tones and brown for your layouts.  Tomorrow I'll be back with the first look at our July kit and the add-ons.  If you subscribe to our newsletter, you have already seen the preview, so I'll be sure to add something new for you to see.  

If you want to be the first to see our kit each month, subscribe to our monthly newsletter by entering your e-mail in the gold box on the left sidebar (join out mailing list).  We only send 2 newsletters each month, so we won't bombard your in-box!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - what amazing work! Love the earthy tones you have used here! You have a lovely style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Love the toned down approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these layouts are fantastic!! wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work - just love the Pandore papers. Julie is the best when it comes to color and design..

    ReplyDelete